Search for Assisted Living by ZIP Code:  :

Reporting Problems
Report Problems in Assisted Living to the Proper Agencies

In the event that you or your loved one encounter problems in assisted living, be sure to reporting those problems to the facility management, but also know that you should report those problems to the state licensing agencies that oversee assisted living.

If you see evidence of neglect or abuse, contact Adult Protective Services (APS) or the state's licensing agency for assisted living in addition to the Long-Term Care Ombudsman in your area immediately. In some states, APS staff are responsible for investigating complaints. The long-term care ombudsman authorized by the federal law to "investigate and resolve complaints made by or on behalf of older individuals who are residents of long-term care facilities."

What Type of Complaints to Report?

Report Complaints
Report Complaints

Some examples of complaints that you should report immediately are:

  • Physical abuse - behavior that produces pain or injury and is not accidental
  • Verbal abuse - behavior or conduct that produces mental or emotional stress
  • Sexual Abuse - violation of criminal, sexual conduct or prostitution statues
  • Exploitation - illegal use of the person or property through undue influence, duress, deception or fraud
  • Absence of financial management that might lead to exploitation
  • Neglect - failure to provide necessary food, clothing, shelter, health care, or supervision

It is also important to record details of the complaint. The more information that you can record, the more effectively the complaint is handled.

Record Details of the Complaint such as:

  • What happened?
  • To whom did it happen?
  • When did it happen?
  • Where did it happen?
  • Who did the abuse?
  • Who was responsible for the neglect?

Report Complaints to the State's Licensing Agency

We have listed and linked to the state's licensing body that will handle assisted living complaints. Select your state and click the link below to file a complaint in that state to the licensing agency in that state.

Report Complaints to a Local Long-Term Care Ombudsma

Visit the LTC Ombudsman website to find a local Ombudsman in your area to voice a complaint to as well.

Carol Marak
Carol Marak

After seven years of helping her aging parents, Carol Marak has become a dedicated senior care writer. Since 2007, she has been doing the research to find answers to common concerns: housing, aging and health, staying safe and independent, and planning long-term.